The Importance Of Contracts And Professional Assistance
The steady stream of property improvement programs on television has led to an increasing number of homeowners electing to act as Project Manager on domestic improvement and even new build schemes. Unfortunately, TV shows often do not give a true representation of the potential complexity of managing a project and the importance of documentation on which a Contractor’s order should be based. It is not uncommon for Forde George to be contacted by parties in potential dispute where the “contract” comprises a single letter with description and a single price. The apparent cost saving in avoiding professional assistance is often significantly outweighed by the extract cost of the Client’s own time and necessary variations to the contract.
- Forde George is well versed in design, specification, tendering and contract administration ensuring statutory compliance of the design and quality and cost control during the project, a principle which cannot easily be ‘injected’ into a project mid contract.
- Whilst professional contact administration services are advisable any budding Project Manager should ensure that there are basic documents and principles in place:
- Accurate and compliant Planning and Building Regulation Consents; obtaining Building Regulation Completion Certification at the end of the project.
- Detailed and accurate and well annotated drawings of proposals and specific construction details.
- Detailed and accurate Schedules of Work with all activities, materials and products clearly stated and detailed price breakdown relating to these provided by the Contractor.
- A detailed programme for the works identifying when elements of construction will be completed, when Contractor’s invoices will be raised (and how much) and when completion is due.
- A contingency, although ensure that this is not expended by the Contractor without authorization.
- A Defects Liability Period; anything from 3 to 12 months.
- Ideally one of the numerous standard forms of contract suitable for a small domestic project.
Posted in Regulations & Laws | Comments Off on The Importance Of Contracts And Professional Assistance |